Monday, September 6, 2010

Quality vs Quantity




Many people are in one camp or the other. Some like a smaller wardrobe with selected pieces that cost quite a bit. They use words like 'classic' 'timeless' 'long wearing' 'beautiful fabrics' 'quality'.

Others go for gold on how many bargains they can get and how many clothes they can get into their wardrobe. The lure of the sale price ticket outweights whether or not the garment is right or wrong. They are just so thrilled with the price.

Where do I sit in all of this? Right, dead smack in the middle. I appreciate well-cut, well-made, beautiful, timeless pieces that I will wear for many years and feel stylish and 'expensive' in. I also have plenty of stuff from Shanton, Glassons, Valleygirl and The Warehouse.

I believe mixing up the two is the best of both words. Most people, especially in this economic climate do not want to spend hundreds of dollars on individual 'fashion forward' pieces. The puffed shoulder jacket, the hammer-time pants, the gladiator sandal.

If you are going to spend some serious money, do take the time to buy something you see yourself wearing for at least a few years. That beautiful coat, that glorious pair of Italian leather boots. That dress that SO suits your shape that you will wear it to death.

I love fashion. I love trends. I always adapt them to suit my body shape, colours and budget! I make a point of buying a new pair of sunglasses each summer season. I will add a latest trend scarf to a classic coat. I will accessories with the latest colours and print.

Some trends come back year after year and it is knowing which ones do, that make buying what you may think is a 'trendy' item, actually a classic. Leather, Nautical, Fur, Military, animal print to name a few. I have pieces in these trends I have had for 5 years and they get recycled and added to new additions nearly every single year.

If I am not sure the trend will remain, I buy fun, funky pieces that suit me but are not overly pricey. I love having an eclectic wardrobe. Some of the cheaper pieces get the most compliments.

It is never how much you spend, it's about having the confidence to try something that feels right for you. Not to young, not too old, not too tight, not too short. A smattering of animal print, a little bit of floral. Mix it up. The British call this 'the designer + high street mix'. Kate Moss loves this term and having a bit of both worlds.

So the challenge is, if you only ever buy designer, try mainstream. Keep an open mind and buy something safe that will fit with your existing wardrobe. If always buying cheap and sale items, try saving up with a classic purchase in mind and going into some stores that are usually a little out of your comfort zone in price.

I think everyone could be pleasantly surprised!

Trudi www.wardrobeflair.com

No comments: