Friday, August 24, 2012

PJs in Public



A debate is raging in NZ over whether it is acceptable to wear PJs in public after an article came out in the NZ Herald on Monday. The question being asked in this instance was is this a fashion trend or basically are people just wearing their PJs to the Supermarket?

In this particular instance I do believe this is just people wearing their PJs to the supermarket. And it is happening on a global scale. I have had tweets and Facebook posts from people all round the word, from Australia, London and America to say this is pretty common. I've also heard from people of all ages saying this has been happening on and off for 20+ years.

So the question is - what is acceptable to most people to wear off the property? Well it clearly does depend on the person. As per my previous email I'm all for people leaving the house feeling the best you can. That can mean great jeans and a T, or something dressier, up to you. Therefore it stands to reason I am not a fan of PJs at the supermarket, nor am I very keen on tracksuit pants worn when you are either not exercising or lounging about at home.

I applaud people who have individual styles and tastes when it comes to fashion, because as we know, fashion itself is very subjective. I love to see people working eclectic styles and doing what makes them feel good about themselves by expressing it in their clothing. But I'm afraid you can not convince me that anybody feels good about themselves while wearing their PJs to the supermarket?

People may say, "who cares, it's only the Supermarket?", but I would ask them how often they see people they know? It could be workmates, friends, colleagues or ex-partners. Then I would ask how they would feel coming face to face with these people whilst standing in line having not had a shower and in their onesie?

The reality is, how you dress does reflect your personality. Rightly or wrongly, people will form an impression of you from what you are wearing. If you can't be bothered getting dressed but hope like hell you don't see anyone you know, then that signals to me you should probably not go there. If you don't care if you meet anyone whilst rocking flannelette unicorn PJs, then go for it - after all, everyone needs a fashion tragedy story to be able to tell their kids right?

Stay colourful!
Trudi
www.wardrobeflair.com
www.facebook.com/WardrobeFlair
www.twitter.com/WardrobeFlair

1 comment:

Sharlene Meyer said...

Yep, I'm with you Trudi! Definitely not acceptable, but I see if every week at the school gate (and NOT just in the morning!!!)